Every day I look to begin my day with some form of inspiration – a book, a quote, a comment from my family, or just by sitting still and looking out the window in reflection. It is critical in order to have a happy and successful life to begin your day with some form of gratitude and inspiration.
This poem has had a positive impact on me and was written and entered into a contest by Bessie Stanley in 1904 – she won $250 – many parts of it have been falsely attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson or Robert Louis Stevenson over the years.
Very cool to learn the true author’s name and to be inspired by her heart and wisdom as she answered the question, “What constitutes success?”
- He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much;
- Who has enjoyed the trust of pure women, the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children;
- Who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;
- Who has never lacked appreciation of Earth’s beauty or failed to express it;
- Who has left the world better than he found it,
- Whether an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul;
- Who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had;
- Whose life was an inspiration;
- Whose memory a benediction.